Though it is most common among teenagers, acne can affect people of all ages, springing up on our faces, backs, chests, and other spots on the body. For some, a simple over-the-counter skin care routine can be enough to reign in their acne problem. But for others, treatment isn’t as easy. If you have acne-prone skin that doesn’t seem to be responding to your curative efforts, the expert team at Dermatology Associates can provide the help you need.
Types of Acne
Aside from the common occurrence of whiteheads and blackheads, there are many different kinds of acne that our dermatologists commonly diagnose and treat. Some of these include:
- Acne vulgaris (common acne): This is the type most patients know best, and it’s characterized by whiteheads, blackheads, comedones, and more.
- Acne mechanica (sports acne): Caused by heat, pressure, and friction, this type of acne frequently occurs in athletes who wear tight-fitting, nonabsorbent gear while they sweat.
- Acne conglobata: This very severe form of acne causes several inflamed nodules to develop on the neck, chest, arms, and/or buttocks. It’s common among men who are taking steroids or testosterone.
- Nodulocystic acne: This form of acne produces inflamed cysts and nodules on the body that often leave scars.
Diagnosing Your Acne
Acne in all forms can result from a number of different causes, and the experts at Dermatology Associates will utilize our knowledge and state-of-the-art equipment to get to the root of your condition. For many patients, their acne is brought on by one of the five main factors, which include:
- Excess production of bodily oils
- Clogged hair follicles
- Excessive activity of androgens, a type of hormone
During your appointment at Dermatology Associates, a member of our care team will take a comprehensive medical history and perform a thorough examination to figure out the why and how behind your acne problem.
Treatments and Procedures
Once we determine the cause of your breakouts, we will start you on an individualized treatment plan. Depending on the type of acne you’re experiencing, treatment can include the following:
You can purchase many different topical acne treatments at your local pharmacy. However, when dealing with more severe acne, you may need a prescription cream or ointment. These types of treatments can contain potent ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, resorcinol, salicylic acid, or sulfur.
This type of acne treatment is taken by mouth and includes inflammation-fighting antibiotics like tetracycline, minocycline, doxycycline, and erythromycin. Other forms of systemic treatments include oral contraceptives and anti-androgen hormone pills. In severe cases of cystic acne, we may recommend isotretinoin, which delivers a high dose of vitamin A.
Acne Care at Dermatology Associates
To stay ahead of your acne, we highly encourage regular visits to the experts at Dermatology Associates. Our staff is comprised of several well-versed providers, so you can be confident that your acne breakouts will be treated with compassion and professionalism. If you’d like to receive curative or preventative treatment for your acne, contact us today to schedule an appointment.